History (St Charles Borromeo)
In the early 1950's Canon Charles Westlake (St Mary's, Worthing) acquired some land which had previously been a market garden, with a view to using the site for a church to serve the Catholics resident in East Worthing.
In 1958 planning permission was obtained for this land, at the corner of Chesswood Road and Ham Road, to be used for a Church and Presbytery. During the following year Bishop Cowderoy approved the design of the architect, Mr Bingham-Towner, for the church and building works commenced with all possible speed. The design of the church is striking in being a simple cruciform shape with a very high ceiling. The total building cost of the church amounted to £ 35,329
There is correspondence showing the detailed attention that Monsignor Pat Wall devoted to the programme of building whilst, at the same time, through the kindness of the licensee and owners of the 'Dolphin Inn' in Dominion Road, the Saloon Bar as a Mass Centre for Sunday Mass. The 'family' atmosphere of these 'Dolphin' Masses is warmly remembered by parishioners still. In remembrance of these Masses a carved dolphin was positioned at the main entrance to the church; this symbol also forms a link with the very early Christian Church, when the dolphin was used in paintings, in some catacombs, to symbolise the resurrection, or even as a symbol of Christ himself.
In April 1962 the new church was finally registered as the Catholic Church of St Charles Borromeo. In May 1962 the first Mass was celebrated in St Charles. June 1962 saw the first celebration of Baptism at the church as well as it's first funeral. The first wedding was celebrated in November 1962. Originally these services were celebrated by priests from St Mary's, Worthing.
In January 1963 Fr John Coleman-Quinn was appointed as the first Parish Priest of St Charles (although to begin with he did not have his own presbytery). With this appointment St Mary's lost that part of Worthing east of a line consisting of South Street, Chapel Road and Broadwater Road up to the Grove Lodge roundabout, the northern boundary of the new parish being the Upper Brighton Road. In 1965 St Charles' Presbytery was completed and Fr Coleman-Quinn was able to take up residence.
In July 1967 Bishop David Cashman, the first bishop of the new Diocese of Arundel and Brighton, visited St Charles and celebrated its first Confirmation service.
On 13th July 1968 Fr William Haynes and Fr John Olliver, both from St Charles' Parish, were ordained priests by Bishop David Cashman - Fr William for the diocese and Fr John for the Mill Hill Missionary Society.
In September 1972 Fr John Stone was appointed as the second Parish Priest at St Charles'. In September 1985 Fr Martin Breen was appointed as the third Parish Priest. These were followed by Fr Robin Mountford and Fr Ian Vane.
June13th 1979 saw the Dedication of St Charles by Bishop Cormac Murphy-O'Connor and in 1993 the bishop returned to celebrate the ordination to the Permanent Diaconate of Patrick Moloney.
With the move of Fr Ian Vane in June 2007, at the decision of Bishop Kieran Conry, St Charles' Parish was joined with the Holy Family, Lancing to become the new Parish of East Worthing with Fr Daryl George as it's first Parish Priest.